Monday 22 March 2010

Speedendurance.com

Speedendurance.com


A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words – Doha IAAF WIC 2010

Posted: 21 Mar 2010 09:00 AM PDT

Gone are the days of still photo photography.

I should know, I used to be a photo journalist for a newspaper AND I had to develop my own film and prints in my darkroom!  Plus I delivered them on my Canadian Tire 10-speed bicycle (I was under 18 at the time and didn't drive or own a car)

Today, it's all immediate gratification (point, click, upload) and YouTube.

But I still love still photos.  And I'm not talking Ansel Adams either.  Why?  Because a picture is worth a thousand words.

My all time favorite sporting site for still photos is Boston.com Big Shots

There are may stories and photos from past sporting events, but they recently published 21 high resolution photos from the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Doha, Qatar.  I guess that's why it's called Big Shots.

I have to warn you upfront.  Do not go to this site via dial-up modem or mobile phone.  Each picture is over 200kb in size.  The pictures are so good, they can even make a nice computer wallpaper!  But that would be copyright infringement. 

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

To see all 22 photos, go here.

bigshots-8

bigshots-21

Here is my favorite photo from last year… from Lausanne 2009, in the pouring rain (photo #18).  Next time your athletes complain about running in the rain, show them this picture.  The show must go on.

bigshots-18 All photos courtesy of Boston.com.

Complete Speed Training


Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment