Tuesday 9 March 2010

About Today: How to Get the Biggest Tax Refund

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
It seems that no matter what I do, come tax time, I owe money. I think that this is partly good planning, in that I don't really want to give the government an interest-free loan every year, and partly laziness. I know I'm probably leaving loads of deductions on the table.

3 Tips to Maximize Itemized Tax Deductions
For example, these three deductions, any of which could wind up saving you a ton of money.

Should You Itemize?
The first year I decided to itemize, I wound up realizing that taking the standard deduction actually made a lot more sense. Of course, I was just out of college, made no money, and owned nothing. So that was simple. Depressing, but simple.

Tax Deductions for Charitable Donations
I've also spent upwards of two hours searching for a receipt, only to realize that donating to political candidates isn't tax deductible. I wish I could deduct for my time on that one. Maybe chalk it up to a loss?

Can You Take the Home Office Deduction?
Here's another one that trips people up. The home office deduction does not, in fact, apply to every home office.

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
All About Triglycerides
Best Convertible Car Seats for Babies
10 Warning Signs of Arthritis
State-By-State Car Insurance Requirements
Will You Buy an Apple iPad?
Follow Us on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Share Your Dog's Tale
Share your tale of what it's like to live with a specific breed of dog - or even a mutt. Your submission will help prospective owners decide what dog breed is right for them. More >

Reader's Choice Tech Awards
Learn what apps, smartphones, email clients, and more were chosen by About.com readers as their favorites. More>


 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment