Tuesday 20 July 2010

About Today: How to Make Your Clothes Last

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
If you were to look at my clothes, and try to figure out what I did for a living, you would probably determine that I was professional target for knife throwers, or else a mountain climber ... who falls a lot.

How to Mend Clothing
I'm hard on clothes, is what I'm saying. I've been known to lose buttons on brand-new items, while on my way home from the store I bought them at. I've burst seams on roomy pants that were less than a week old.

10 Clothing Fixes Everyone Should Know
So it follows that I've had to learn how to repair my clothing. (Well, at least until I became engaged to a guy who was better at it than I am. Now I just sort of point at the rips and look sad.)

How to Keep Your Clothes From Fading
Everyone has at least one shirt they secretly hate. It's the shirt that stays at the bottom of the laundry the longest, and once clean, stays in the back of the closet until you've run through every other shirt you own. I think of it as the Bummer Shirt, because it's depressing to wear it. Generally, the Bummer Shirt got that way by fading in the wash.

How to Make Things Last Longer
Here's my favorite tip from this list: "Unwrap your soap and allow it to dry out for a couple weeks before you use it. Why? Because dry soap doesn't dissolve as fast when it comes into contact with water." This officially counts as the "something new" I learned today.

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
How to Make a Mojito
Books That Will Keep Your Kids Busy
How to Mow the Lawn Like a Pro
Plan an All-Inclusive Caribbean Vacation
Find the Cheapest Plan for Your Cellphone
Follow Us on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Plan a Unique Vegas Wedding
The minister, music and champagne are just the beginning -- why not get married aboard a helicopter or have a pirate swing in to deliver your rings? Arrrr! More>



Join About.com's User Panel!
Share your opinions and help us make About.com more relevant, informative and enjoyable to use. More>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment