Tuesday 13 July 2010

About Today: 3 Steps to a Hack-Proof Password

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
My first online password was for my original email account, way back in the Pleistocene Era before contextual advertising and a million free gigs of storage. That password was most likely my birthday, or my boyfriend's nickname, or something else that could be easily figured out by the average toddler.

3 Steps to a Hack-Proof Password
Now, of course, I am much more sophisticated in selecting my passwords. So much so, that I occasionally outsmart myself and have to have everything reset. (OK, so it's once a week.)

How to Guess Your Own Password
Sometimes I can guess my forgotten password, which always makes me feel like I've broken into my own computer. And then, of course, I have to change it, as what I've chosen is obviously too easy to figure out.

5 Steps to Choosing a Good Password
One of the sample passwords in this piece is "PuppyLovesCheeseMail." I cannot tell you how much I wish I'd come up with this myself.

How to Choose a Good Email Password
Strangely, my birthday is nowhere in these suggestions.

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
George Steinbrenner Dead at 80
Video: Why Do Mosquito Bites Itch?
BP's Latest Attempt to Stop the Gulf Leak
Totally Free Date Ideas
Why It's Not Okay for Mel Gibson to Use the N-Word
Follow Us on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Plan a Unique Vegas Wedding
The minister, music and champagne are just the beginning -- why not get married aboard a helicopter or have a pirate swing in to deliver your rings? Arrrr! More>



Join About.com's User Panel!
Share your opinions and help us make About.com more relevant, informative and enjoyable to use. More>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment