Monday 21 June 2010

About Today: How (Not) to Give Yourself an Electric Shock

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
About once a year, I get sick of our five busted electrical outlets and decide to fix them myself. This will, I decide, save us oodles of cash and prove once and for all that the only difference between me and Laura Ingalls Wilder is that I have better accessories.

Should You Do It Yourself, or Hire a Pro?
This scares the dickens ouf ot my fiance, who is afraid I'll light myself up like a Christmas tree. I'm certain this has nothing to do with the time I tried to snake the drain and wound up banging my head on the faucet. I mean, what's the big deal? It turned out not to be a concussion after all.

6 Ways to Prevent Shock
I will admit, however, to a bit of trepidation when it comes to working with electricity. This is because I'm not stupid, and because I've watched enough medical dramas to know that electricity is serious business. ("Clear!")

Top Electrical Safety Tips
I'm probably going to have to print out this article and hang it in a prominent place while I'm working on this project. Either that, or a picture of the Bride of Frankenstein.

Readers Respond: "The Day I Shocked Myself"
Or better yet, I can just remember what I'm trying to avoid: "Wait. It gets better. Not only did I receive a shock, but because I could not really believe that sticking the prong of a fork into a receptacle could deliver such a shock, I did it again." So no forks. Now I know.

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
Ask Secretary Sebelius Your Health Insurance Questions
How Oil Spills Damage the Environment
Recipe: Hokey Pokey Ice Cream
Top 10 Trends in Green Landscape Design
How to Survive Summer Festival Season
Follow Us on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Plan a Unique Vegas Wedding
The minister, music and champagne are just the beginning -- why not get married aboard a helicopter or have a pirate swing in to deliver your rings? Arrrr! More>



Join About.com's User Panel!
Share your opinions and help us make About.com more relevant, informative and enjoyable to use. More>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment