Wednesday 13 October 2010

About Today: How to Carve a Pumpkin

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
I take my pumpkin carving pretty seriously. This is almost entirely my neighbors' fault. Every year at this time, our street blooms with jack o'lanterns ranging from the classic grinning ghoul to modern masterpieces involving stencils, chisel sets, and lighting schemes.

How to Carve a Pumpkin
The only thing that matters to me is that my pumpkin is better than other people's. See that? I totally have my priorities straight.

Free Pumpkin Carving Stencils
Of course, knowing where to get free stencils helps. (And because I'm a benevolent competitor, I'll even share them with you.)
See More About:  pumpkins  halloween  holiday crafts

How to Choose Pumpkins for Carving and Cooking
The first step is to pick a pumpkin suitable for carving. I still have nightmares about the year I tried to get fancy and carve one of those white pumpkin-like gourds. I thought it would look extra spooky, all pale and ghostly on my porch. I forgot that gourds have thicker hides that are almost impossible to cut through. 

Halloween Safety: Carving and Displaying Pumpkins Safely
Also: Please don't hurt yourself either carving or showing off your jack o'lantern. Injuries are not festive and should be avoided.

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
The Chilean Miner Rescue Effort Is Underway
Best SUV Deals for 2010
How to Get Started on Twitter
10 Rap Album Cliches We Could Live Without
How to Manage Your Frequent Flier Miles
Follow Us on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Is it a Cold or the Flu?
Knowing whether you have a cold or the flu can help you treat your symptoms more effectively. More >



Concerned About Your Drinking?
This short quiz can help you identify whether or not you have a drinking problem. Take the quiz now >




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment