Tuesday 3 August 2010

About Today: 45 Ways to Cut the Cost of College Life

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
When I went to college, I lived on $40 a week. This was, of course, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. (Or at least when still we thought the brontosaurus had once roamed the earth.) Still, it was a tight squeeze, and I remember well how I cut corners to make my budget work.

How to Cut the Cost of College Life
One thing I did that I swore I'd never do again: Steal sugar packets and fruit from the cafeteria and smuggle them home for later. Picture me as Scarlett O'Hara, only instead of clutching a carrot, I'm holding a packet of sweetener over my head. As God as my witness, etc.

Budgeting for College Students
It's good to get used to living on a budget, though. As my cousin once told me, "You can either live like a student now ... or when the credit card bills come in after graduation."

When -- and When Not -- to Use a Student Credit Card
Sometimes, using a credit card isn't a bad idea. The trick is to know when those times are, and stick to them.

How to Find a Good On-Campus Job
My only on-campus job was dorm security. Twice a week, I sat at a desk and checked IDs as students filed into their dorms. This lasted a short time, until I was fired on Halloween for allowing a kid dressed like a sea monkey to enter the building without showing ID. (He didn't have pockets!)

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
'The Bachelorette' Winner Revealed
What Are the Symptoms of ADD in Adults?
Get Your Craft Business Started
The 5 Best Card Games for Families
How to Protect Your Garden From the Heat
Follow Us on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Plan a Unique Vegas Wedding
The minister, music and champagne are just the beginning -- why not get married aboard a helicopter or have a pirate swing in to deliver your rings? Arrrr! More>



Join About.com's User Panel!
Share your opinions and help us make About.com more relevant, informative and enjoyable to use. More>




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment