Monday 13 September 2010

About Women's Fashion: Fashion Week

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com

Women's Fashion

Style Basics

Trends & Designers

Dresses



From Cynthia Nellis, your Guide to Women's Fashion
Where I'm from, there's a Texas saying that shows you've got some miles on you: This ain't my first rodeo. When it comes to Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York, this is definitely true for me.

Countdown to Fashion Week: This Ain't My First Rodeo
I started attending Fashion Week a decade ago, back before there were such things as bloggers, and definitely no Facebook or Twitter. Back then, it was a novelty that I wrote for the internet. I paid something crazy for my first digital camera like over $1000 so I could take runway photos and videos (believe it or not, it took floppy disks.) I've seen designers come and go to the tents, met lots of fascinating people and seen some pretty great fashion. And I was on my way to a fashion show (Douglas Hannant, I believe) on September 11 when the tragedy struck. So, no, this isn't my first rodeo when it comes to covering Fashion Week. But it is the first time that the main venue for the shows has changed Read more

Fashion Week, Day 1: Why Should You Care About Fashion Week?
It's the first day in our new digs (Lincoln Center) and except for the fact that I feel totally lost after a decade at Bryant Park, it's all good. Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week has now (finally) gone digital -- using gizmos like barcodes and little receipts -- to enter the shows... Read more

Fashion Week, Day 2: The Thing About 'Wearable'
Here's the thing about clothes that are wearable: we all moan about designers showing more wearable fashion, then when they do, we complain how boring it all looks. It's the modern woman's fashion conundrum. After seasons of extremes (microminis or maxis) and impossibly skinny bottoms, designers are turning out dresses in knee (or longer) lengths that more women can wear to the office and after hours. And instead of ridiculous neon colors, designers have turned to soft neutrals and non-offensive beiges. Weird asymmetrical 3D effects, bold ruffles and obvious retro reworkings? Gone, gone, gone. So we should be happy when so much that comes down the runway looks like it could easily slip right into our closets, right? ... Read more

Fashion Week, Day 3: I'll Have What Brad's Having
Let the rest of the kids go nuts over the Kardashians and Jessica Szohr; I chose to run after (no, it's not exactly like stalking) Brad Goresky, Rachel Zoe's assistant on "The Rachel Zoe Project."... Read more

 


Women's Fashion Ads
Featured Articles
Style Basics
Fashion Photo Galleries
Celebrity Style
Style on a Budget
Handbags
Accessories & Shoes

 

More from About.com

Is it a Cold or the Flu?
Knowing whether you have a cold or the flu can help you treat your symptoms more effectively. More>



Concerned About Your Drinking?
This short quiz can help you identify whether or not you have a drinking problem. More>




This newsletter is written by:
Cynthia Nellis
Women's Fashion Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Women's Fashion newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 


Must Reads
Fall Fashion
Fashion Week
Celebrity Hit or Miss?
What to Wear to a Wedding
Develop a Trend-Proof Style

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment