Monday 12 April 2010

About Today: Should You Lie on Your Resume?

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
It's been a tough couple of months for job seekers. As a result, many of my friends who are still looking are on their third or fourth version of their resume. "I'm going to send a physical resume, trimmed in Christmas tree lights," my friend Jess said. "I'd like to see them ignore a CV that requires batteries." I think she was kidding.

Should You Lie on Your Resume?
Me, I'd be more likely to send the light-up resume than to lie. This is because I am one of those people who always, always gets caught when she lies. I couldn't get away with stealing cookies when I was a kid and I sure can't get away with fraud now.

Can You Stretch the Truth?
But what about "little white lies"? Everyone stretches the truth, right? Again, not if they're like me and have the exact opposite of a poker face.

Resume Tips and Advice
The thing is, you really don't need to lie on your resume. You just need to arrange things so that people can see your greatness. For example, I once helped my brother-in-law rework his resume. The first thing on it was "Co-Captain of the Water Polo Team." After that came his (perfect) GPA and internships. You see the problem.

How to Get a Job
When I embarked on my very first job hunt, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, there was no such thing as a personal marketing strategy. Or maybe there was, but I hadn't heard about it. Thank you, internets!

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
Phil Mickelson Wins the 2010 Masters
Poland's President Dies in Plane Crash
2010's Best Rock Songs (So Far)
'Designing Women' Star Dixie Carter Passes Away
Springtime Shoe Trends
Follow Us on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Disney Trip Planner
Everything you need to plan the perfect Disney vacation -- from when to go and what to do, to saving money and picking a hotel. More >

Join About.com's User Panel!
Share your opinions and help us make About.com more relevant, informative and enjoyable to use. More>


 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment