Monday 8 November 2010

About Today: Should You Use Zinc to Fight a Cold?

If you can't see this email, click here

About.com


From Jen Hubley, your About Today Editor
As I write this, I'm fighting off my yearly cold. This is good, because it means I'm right on schedule. I always get a cold right about this time. And isn't it nice to be consistent?

Should You Use Zinc to Fight a Cold?
Because I'm a hypochondriac, I always have a full supply of "cold remedies" - many of them, absolutely useless. The question is, which ones? Is zinc, for example, a cold cure-all or just so much nonsense?
See More About:  cold and flu remedies  zinc 

Before You Treat Your Cold
Here's a tip: There really isn't a cure for colds. All you're doing is trying to make yourself feel better while you bide your time and wait for it to go away.

Is It a Cold or the Flu?
One thing that surprises me about having a cold is how awful it is. In fact, I inevitably think I have the flu when I first feel sick, because it seems impossible to feel so lousy with "just a cold." But the flu and the common cold are very different beasts indeed.

Does Cold Weather Cause a Cold?
Even my Mom, who's a nurse, will say, "Put on a hat, or you'll catch your death of cold." But is that just an expression, or does cold weather really give you a cold?

 


Today Ads
Featured Articles
Warrant Issued for Randy Quaid
10 Questions to Ask When Buying a Used Car
8 Celebrity Couples that Met on Set
FDA Approves Cymbalta for Chronic Back Pain
How to Host a Successful Game Night
Follow Us on Twitter!

 

More from About.com

Is it a Cold or the Flu?
Knowing whether you have a cold or the flu can help you treat your symptoms more effectively. More >



Concerned About Your Drinking?
This short quiz can help you identify whether or not you have a drinking problem. Take the quiz now >




 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About Today newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
249 West 17th Street
New York, NY, 10011

© 2010 About.com
 

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment